Tuesday, January 13, 2009

LINUS D. SHEPARD Biographical Record

From Portrait and Biographical Record of Walworth and Jefferson Counties, Wisconsin, Lake City Publishing Co. Chicago. 1894

Linus D. Shepard was an early settler and prominent farmer of Walworth County, whither he came in 1841. He was born in the town of Darien, Genesee County, N.Y., and was a son of John B. and Rachel (Willis) Shepard, who were of English and Holland descent. In their family were five children: Stephen H., a resident of Walworth County; Sabra, wife of R. H. Bristol, who is living near Delavan; Ann A., who resides with her brother’s family on the old homestead; Mary S., wife of Edward Coleman, of Delavan; and Linus D., of this sketch.

It was during his boyhood that our subject came to Wiscousin, and after attending the common schools, he became a student in the Delavan Seminary, of Delavan, there completing his education. His father died on the 3d of February 1875, and his mother passed away December 24, 1872. They were laid to rest in Spring Grove Cemetery. Having arrived at years of maturity, L. D. Shepard was united in marriage on the 4th of June, 1873, the lady of his choice being Miss Clarinda Z., daughter of Adna Sawyer. She was born in the town of Richmond, in Walworth County, March 29, 1852, and by their marriage were born seven children, all of whom are yet at home. They are John A., who was born April 8, 1874; Eunice R., January 18, 1876; Alfred H., December 25, 1877; Earl L., August 20, 1879; Alice E., January 16, 1881 Esther S., March 24, 1883; and Mabel E., November 1, 1885. The eldest son, John, now has charge of the home farm. He was educated in the Delavan High School and the others are receiving the same educational privileges.

Linus D. Shepard followed farming throughout his entire life, and was the owner of a beautiful tract of land of eight acres, on section 4, Delavan Township. This he placed under a high state of cultivation, and upon it made many excellent improvements. Good buildings were erected, and all the accessories and conveniences of a model farm were added, so that the place has become one of the best in the locality. The owner was a man of high character, was always a friend in time of need, and was an enterprising and public-spirited citizen, who manifested a warm interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the community. He and his wife belonged to the Congregational Church, and, in politics, he was a Republican. For many years he held the office of School Director, and the cause of education found in him a warm friend. His death resulted from an accident, on the 21st of May, 1890, and he was laid to rest in Spring Grove Cemetery. His life was an honorable and upright one, which gained him the respect of all who knew him, and his loss was therefore deeply lamented.

1 comment:

  1. I am a descendant of this line through Earl Linus Shepard.

    Joyce Cox